Do you have cavities in your teeth? Well, composite fillings are a great choice to restore your tooth, as they resemble the natural colour of your tooth. They are also known as resin fillings, white fillings, or tooth-coloured fillings. They cannot only fix cavities but also repair cracks, fissures, etc. However, if you are wondering, how long does a composite filling last? how to take care of your fillings? Our experts are here to help you out.
Three Factors That Affect The Age Of The Composite Filling
To place your composite filling, the dentist will remove some of the natural tooth structure. Once the filling is placed, it will not corrode or expand, or be visible like metal fillings. On average tooth-coloured fillings last for about 5-7 years; however, the age of the composite fillings depends on different factors. A few are mentioned below.
Oral Hygiene Habits
Your oral hygiene plays an important role in maintaining healthy teeth and gums. It also plays a role in the lifespan of your composite fillings. Composite dental fillings from Ludington, MI, can last long if it adheres to healthy enamel. If you have poor oral hygiene, it can damage or decay the surrounding areas of the filling. To prevent this, make sure you brush twice a day and floss once daily to avoid plaque and bacteria build-up that can lead to decay.
Your diet is another important aspect that will determine how long composite fillings last. Composite fillings are durable; however, constant consumption of foods that damage teeth, like chewy, hard, crunchy, or sticky foods, can cause your fillings to wear down or become damaged. You don’t have to stop consuming these foods, but moderation is key. Even if these foods don’t immediately damage the filling, continuous consumption can cause the filling to wear down faster.
If you suffer from bruxism, i.e., if you grind or clench your teeth, it can put a lot of pressure on your teeth. This often occurs at night and can cause damage to both your teeth and your fillings. If you notice signs of bruxism or if you have jaw pain, the dentist will recommend you wear a night guard. Nightguards will ensure they cushion the force, protect your teeth, and prevent your composite fillings from wear and tear or damage.
How To Ensure The Long-Term Success Of Composite Restorations?
Tooth-coloured fillings are popular among people as they match the colour of your natural teeth. Following are a few simple steps to ensure you have dental fillings that will last for years to come.
- Although composite fillings look natural, they are prone to staining. Therefore, you should limit foods that can stain your teeth.
- Limit Hard foods like nuts, candies, chips, and pretzels.
- Limit chewy foods such as jerkies, pizza crusts, fibrous meat, and chewy candies.
- Limit sticky foods like Caramel, taffy, toffee, chewing gum, candy bars, and dried fruits or roll-ups.
- Avoid using mouthwash that contains alcohol.
- You can use alcohol-free, colourless mouthwash and non-coloured toothpaste to avoid discolouration and staining your composite fillings.
- Brush and floss your teeth daily after meals.
- Avoid drinks that can stain your filling, such as tea, coffee, and wine.
- Limit your sugary food intake to reduce the chances of tooth decay.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and any non-abrasive toothpaste, and avoid aggressive brushing.
- Get mouthguards if you have an active lifestyle.
- Get nightguards if you suffer from bruxism.
- Visit the dentist regularly for checkups once every six months.
Restore Your Smile With Composite Fillings
We hope this helped you understand more about how long composite fillings last and how often you can take care of your fillings. You can always consult the best dentist in Ludington, Michigan, to ensure your teeth and fillings are safe to avoid any complications later.