Have you ever visited your dentist for an oral cancer screening? If not, it’s a good idea that you do so because oral cancer is diagnosed and found in over 42,000 individuals every year in America. Your greatest chance of recovery depends on finding cancer in time, so it is a good idea to always monitor your oral health to determine if oral cancer is present. Here are a few common symptoms to watch for:
– Inflammation on your lips, tongue, or inside your mouth could be a sign of oral cancer. Similar symptoms include swellings, thickenings, rough patches, and eroded areas.
– If you experience dramatic weight loss, it could be linked to a cancer present in your body.
– Common symptoms of oral cancer include unexplained numbness, persistent sores in your facial area, throat soreness, chronic sore throat, difficulty chewing, eating, and speaking, frequent ear pain, and a loss of feeling in your head, neck, and face area.
– Unexplained bleeding in your mouth that typically persists longer than 2 weeks could be associated with oral cancer.
– If you notice any irregular looking patches in your mouth including red, white, or speckled velvety white markings, visit your dentist for an oral cancer screening.
Visit us for an oral cancer screening if you are showing any signs of the disease. If you would like Dr. Jason Martin and our team at Lakewinds Dental to bring you in for a comprehensive exam to determine which treatment is right for you, please schedule an appointment at our dentist office in Ludington, Michigan, by calling us at 231-845-7240.